Okra can get such a bad rep. It’s slimy, it’s tasteless, blah blah blah. But I’ve always eaten it growing up, and I freaking love it. I will say, I don’t love the sliminess of it, but I used to love the okra (bhindi masalas) my mom used to make. I also love it fried…but who doesn’t love fried okra? It’s SO DAMN GOOD. But lately, I’ve just been roasting okra with all the spices as a side as a healthier option, and then all of a sudden, one day it dawned on me that I should make it in the form of fries. #lightbulb Crispy okra cut lengthwise, smothered in all the spices and crisped up to dip in some delicious aioli. Yes yes yes. So I present to you my spicy okra fries!!
- 1/2 lb of okra, sliced lengthwise
- 1 tbsp of avocado oil
- 1 tsp of cumin powder (A)
- 1 tsp of coriander powder (B)
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder (C)
- 1 tsp of garlic powder (D)
- 1/2 tsp of garam masala (E)
- 1/2 tsp of chili powder, optional (F)
- 1/2 tbsp of sea salt (G)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the okra with the avocado oil and spices, A - G.
- Place okra on a wire rack that has been placed on top of a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Make sure that none of the okra are touching or overlapping. You want zero overcrowding if you want them to be nice and crisp!
- Roast for 25-30 minutes, depending on how crunchy you like it! I pull it out right around the 27 minute mark! =)
- Serve immediately with my aioli!
When you make the recipe, please SHARE with me though Facebook or Instagram! And don’t forget to pin it so you can find this easily and share with others!