Cashew Chicken that is whole 30. Are you even ready for this? Because I’m way too excited to share this easy recipe that is so damn delicious, and healthy to boot. The best part is that you can change up all the veggies in this dish, which I have about 10x because sometimes it’s all you have on hand! And it still turned out supaaaa good.
This dish is also one of those that doesn’t need a lot of marination time. I only let it marinate while I chop up the veggies, so literally like 10 minutes, and still the flavor is out of this world. Oh, and its nothing special you guys when it comes to the ingredients. It’s probably stuff you already have in your pantry!! #winning The only thing I recommend is using chicken thighs. I’m not a huge chicken breast fan if you know me, but I feel as though if you want it to taste like the chinese food you get from a restaurant, you’re going to want to use the dark meat.
And I wasn’t kidding about switching up the veggies. I made it last week using snow peas, baby corn, and shiitake and we all loved it! And yes, this is totally kid approved. I serve it over just plain white rice for them, and they love it! A one dish stop that has protein and veggies? And clean? SIGN ME UP!
You could eat this by itself which is normally what I do, or with rice, and make it a take out dinner night and add these delicious stir fried noodles to go with it! Need a veggie dish to go alongside? The sichuan peppercorn cabbage can’t be beat!
[ctt template=”4″ link=”U7_Ew” via=”yes” nofollow=”yes”]Share this whole 30 cashew chicken with your friends![/ctt]
- 2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs - cut into small bite size pieces
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1 tsp of tapioca starch (substitute cornstarch if you’re not doing whole 30)
- 1 tbsp of coconut aminos (substitute soy sauce if you’re not doing whole 30)
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1 inch of ginger, grated
- 2 tsp of avocado oil
- 1 tbsp of avocado oil
- 1 tsp of coconut amigos
- 1 tsp of toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp of crushed red chili pepper (optional)
- 1 large zucchini (or two small ones), cut into half moon shapes
- 1 large portobello mushroom, chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 carrots (or 1 large), sliced into little discs
- Handful of cashews (about 1 cup)
- 1. Place the cubed chicken into a bowl, and add in the sea salt, pepper, tapioca starch, coconut aminos, garlic, ginger and the avocado oil. Toss it all together to make sure it’s all well combined.
- 2. Heat the tablespoon of avocado oil in a large skillet over medium to high heat. Once it’s hot, add a single layer of chicken. There’s a slight chance you’ll have to do this in batches because you don’t want to overcrowd the chicken and let it steam. Once the chicken is cooked through and browned, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- 3. There should still be a little bit of oil leftover in the pan, so add the zucchini, and carrots in! Saute for a few minutes until you start to see the veggies getting slightly browned, but not too soft!
- 4. Add in the cashews and mushroom, and give it a good toss.
- 5. Add the chicken back in, along with the coconut aminos, toasted sesame oil, and the crushed pepper if using.
- 6. One last toss and it’s ready to serve!
- * Feel free to switch up the veggies in this dish! It's super versatile!
- * If you're not doing whole 30, you can swap out the coconut aminos for soy sauce, and the tapioca starch for cornstarch.
When you make the recipe, please SHARE with me though Facebook or Instagram! And don’t forget to pin it so you can find this easily and share with others!