Whole 30 Mint + Cilantro Chutney Wings
The first post of 2019!! Can’t believe we are two weeks into the new year!!! Was your holiday season C R A Y? Cuz our last three months have been a whirlwind, and something tells me that as my kids get older and older, the holiday season will only get busier and packed with events/parties/travel/etc. Don’t get me wrong, I totally love it but at the same time, it means less time I can devote to the blog especially since my kids were home for nearly three weeks!! Which is basically why I haven’t gotten a chance to hop on here and blab to you guys…
I don’t have any giant resolutions for the new year, but more like being a better version of my self with everything I learned in the last year. 2017/2018 were huge changes for me, amongst lots of learning lessons, and I want to apply a lot of that this new year, so I can truly live and find joy in the ordinary!
One thing I knew I wanted to do in the new year was to eat cleaner. That didn’t mean jumping on any crazy diet bandwagons, but more so learning to eat for my body, what makes it feel good. So I’m incorporating lots of Whole 30 and Paleo into my daily meals, but I do give a myself a cheat day because I’ll never be able to give up noodles probably. #letsbereal
Eating clean for me doesn’t mean eating grilled chicken and veggies everyday. I wanna eat all the good food, but with clean and healthy ingredients!! If it doesn’t taste good, I’m out. So first up, are these cilantro and mint chutney wings!! They are whole 30 compliant and ever so delicious! We love wings in our house, my husband especially, but every time I eat them at a restaurant I always feel so sick after because they are always fried in so much oil and more often that not, just topped with some sauce. Never seems worth it to me, though my husband might totally disagree with me because wings are seriously his favorite food.
I wanted to enjoy them without guilt, which is how these got invented especially because I was inspired by my friend Rubi’s marinade I caught the other day on her Instagram! I tweaked bits and pieces of it, but decided I would marinate some wings overnight in this amazing chutney, and they did not disappoint! My husband who isn’t on my eating clean journey thought they were absolutely delicious, so I’d call that a major win! Soooooo without further ado, let’s get started!
- 2-3 lbs of chicken wings and drumettes (this recipe makes anywhere between 35-40), washed and patted dry
- 1.5 bunches of mint, leaves torn off stems (item A)
- 1 bunch of cilantro (item B)
- 1/4 red onion, diced (item C)
- 1 inch of ginger, cut into slices (item D)
- 3 cloves of garlic (item E)
- Juice of 1 lime, and the zest (item F)
- Jalapeno (deseeded) – optional because I left it out when I made a batch for the kids (item G)
- 2 tsp cumin powder (item H)
- 1 tsp paprika (item I)
- 1 tsp chaat Masala (item J)
- 1 tsp garam Masala (item K)
- 2 tbsp EVOO (item L)
- 1 tbsp of water (item M)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp of chopped cilantro leaves for garnish
- Blend items A-M til’ it makes a nice green chutney. Taste it and add salt accordingly. It’ll be a smidge thick but that ok because it’s going to cover those wings beautifully!
- Put the wings into ziplock bags. Add the chutney into them and make sure to give the bag a good shake/massage so that it covers all the wings really well. I would let it marinate at least 4-6 hours, if not overnight. I always do mine the night before and just stick it into the fridge right before I head to bed.
- When you’re ready to cook them, get a cookie sheet and cover it with foil. Add a wire rack on top, and spray with cooking spray or grease with EVOO. Preheat the oven to 400.
- Add the wings one by one using tongs and place the chicken wings on there.
- Put the wings in the oven for 35 minutes, but flip in the middle.
- If you have any leftover marinade, I like to cook mine down a bit on the stove and make it a little thicker to toss the cooked wings in!
- Once the wings are done in the oven, garnish with the chopped cilantro leaves, and toss them in cooked marinade in case you had any leftover!
When you make the recipe, please SHARE with me though Facebook or Instagram! And don’t forget to pin it so you can find this easily!