This spinach quinoa salad was brought to me by one of my closest friends, Menaka, and I think I eat it every week now. It has the most amazing cilantro lime dressing, and I could basically pour it on everything! Shield your eyes if you’re here for a whole 30 or paleo recipe, because this does have quinoa and corn in it. BUTTTT, it’s so freakin’ delicious that I gotta have it!
We were at her house on a Friday night, and she had made this scrumptious salad. And I literally couldn’t stop eating it, and annoyed her to no end on giving me the recipe! Once it was in my hands, and I was eating it all the time, I knew I had to share with you guys! Don’t worry, I asked her if I could post it here!
Super simple ingredients, with big mondo taste!
I also prep some of the ingredients on a Sunday during meal prep, and then during the week, I can assemble it. I eat it for lunch, as a side to a main course, and as a snack. I’m not even remotely kidding when I say I’m addicted!
- Baby spinach – about four cups, chopped
- 1/4 of a white/yellow onion, chopped
- 1 big Zucchini – chopped
- 1 11 oz. can of roasted chipotle corn (if not available, just regular corn or skip it!), drained
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa (I like to use tricolor, feel free to use whatever you like!)
- 1 avocado, cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional – tortilla strips
For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- Juice of one lime
- 2 tbsp of cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp of brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp of salt
- Heat a nonstick pan with a smidge of EVOO, and saute the onions and zucchini with a bit of salt and pepper until they are a little soft. You still want them to have a bite, but not with the raw taste.
- In a large bowl (I love this one!), I add the quinoa, spinach, corn, onions and zucchini.
- Now, blend all the ingredients on the dressing together! If it’s a little too thick for your liking, add a splash of water!
- Pour the dressing into the bowl and give it a good toss!
- Add the avocado if you are eating it right away. Otherwise, you can stick it in the fridge for a few hours later too! If you’re going to eat this later in the week, I probably wouldn’t add the dressing right away.
**Garnish with tortilla strips if you want. I normally don’t add any but my friend did, and it definitely add a nice crunch! This would also be amazing with some grilled chicken on top! **