Did you know Christmas cookies have been a part of history since the 1500s? WHOA.
It all started in Europe when gingerbread became a pretty big deal around the holidays, and people were allowed to bake their own at home since the laws were such that baking was only restricted to guildsman!
Eventually gingerbread, turned into cookies slowly as it got pressed onto cookie boards and were dried. Once that caught on, they were shaped into animals and fun objects! It was such a treat around Christmas!
Who knew there was so much history attached to Christmas treats right? I think the craziest thing I learned while googling about cookie history was why cookies were left out for Santa. It turns out, the tradition was introduced to children during the Great Depression to encourage generosity. Clearly, it stuck! All I’ve ever known is to leave cookies out for Santa!!
Nonetheless, I decided to make some Christmas cookies the other day with Aria and she had such a blast! It was on my Instagram in case you saw! They were easy to make, and honestly turned out super good!! She helped me roll them into the balls and she was loving it!! My sweet little helper! Don’t worry, she also helped me eat quite a bit of them!! HA.
We’ve made two batches already since Saturday! I’m ready to bake more to hand out as treats to our friends and neighbors since they are so simple!!
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- Red and green sprinkles
- 1 cup or more of peanut butter M&Ms (You can use whatever flavor you want but these tasted amazing!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Don't follow the instructions on the box. Instead mix together the cake mix, eggs, and the oil in a large bowl.
- Stir together with a spoon.
- Add however little or a lot of the sprinkles, and stir again.
- Shape into 1 inch little balls and place on a non-greased cookie sheet or parchment paper.
- Take the bottom of a glass, dip it into flour, and slowly flatten each cookie a little bit.
- Press M&Ms into each cookie, and pop into oven for 7-8 minutes! Don't over cook them since they will finish hardening up outside of the oven!
- Enjoy and share with all of your friends!!
Do you have any amazing cookie recipes to share? I’d love some more to make with my kids!!
Pin it for later!